Hey There
It has been a long time since I wrote a post here, and that is not because I've been busy, it's because I have been procrastinating since the time I got done with my MBA! :P
Today is Father's Day and I wanted to write this post, not to celebrate this day in particular, but to Thank my Dad for teaching me the most important lessons in life.
Amidst all the agreeing, disagreeing, arguing, debating what I did not realize was that I was learning some of the most important things about life situations and only now I realize that all those discussions have played a major role in shaping me into the person I am today.
Life Lessons from My DAD
1. Spend Money on learning new skills rather than on buying material things
I have been playing tennis since the age of 10, learning Odissi- An Indian Classical Dance Form since the age of 6. While I was in school, I learned music, dance, I was always into sports. Growing up, I tried everything from Crossfit to Zumba to learning a language. There has never been a dull moment and I believe my sister and I have lived a fuller life because my parents gave us the opportunity to try and learn everything possible under the Sun. My dad never said a No.
2. Being humble is the best gift you can give to people around you
I have never, NEVER seen my dad boast about anything that he has achieved in his Life. And he indeed has achieved a lot. He is the most humble person I have come across and this is one thing i definitely wish to learn from him.
3. Work Hard and rest will fall in place
Dad always tell us that there is no substitute to Hard Work. Waking us up at 6 am in the mornings for tennis training or motivating us to push a little harder, this is how he has brought us up. And I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I can today proudly say that Hard Work doesn't scare me, it is what I look forward to, every time I dream a new dream.
4. Giving back to the society is as important as earning for your self
Dad has been a part of a social organization since 15 years now. Most of the times even my Mom does not know how much money my dad has contributed for community work and to how many organizations. To him, it is a very important part of his life.
5. Marks as not as important as enjoying school or college life is
The one reason why my sister and I could do well in extra curricular activities, and by well I mean playing sports at the State and National Level, was that my dad never pushed us to score amazing marks. He did want us to do well, but that was more about learning the concepts well and not about scoring the most amazing marks.
6. Dream. But also align your dreams with time and specific goals
Dad never stops us from dreaming but he also wants us to be very practical about our dreams. If we want to achieve something in life, we should have a proper time oriented plan and a particular direction is what he always says.
Dad you did not treat me like a princess, because you wanted me to take on the world like a queen. And I am so glad for that!
Thank you. I love you Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment